DEPUTY CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
Our client is seeking an experienced business administration professional who is motivated to manage day-to-day office operations in a large organization. In this role, we are looking for an individual with the ability to provide leadership to department managers and provide strategic framework to assist the organization in meeting goals and problem-solving. In addition, the successful applicant will be expected to review internal policies, prepare financial reports and positively motivate staff in various departments. The successful applicant will have strong knowledge of organizational behaviour, quality assurance and management, and the ability to represent the company publicly and professionally. This position will be based out of Charlottetown, PEI.
General duties of this position would include:
• Working closely with departmental managers to ensure a commitment to a high level of public service
• Dealing with the public with integrity in a professional and courteous manner
• Developing and fostering working relationships with various external agencies, developers, consultants and associated professional groups
• Developing and implementing the company’s strategic plan and policies
• Reporting directing to CAO
• Providing outstanding support to CAO and fellow employees
• Directing day-to-day operations within various departments
• Advising department heads
• Demonstrating responsible and professional conduct
• Prioritizing tasks and duties throughout each department
• Effective problem-solving and conflict resolution
• Public speaking
• Attending meetings as required
Day-to-Day tasks for this position would include:
• Ensuring that there is a proactive and shared customer focus for the company
• Assuming leadership and direction of assigned employees of within the organization
• Ensuring the effective and economical operation of all assigned Departments.
• Assuring responsible utilization of resources in accordance with sound management practices, administrative guidelines and regulations.
• Assisting in the preparation of annual Operating and Capital Budgets for presentation respective departments
• Maintaining positive public relations in dealing with inquiries and complaints in a respectful and professional manner
• Leading special initiatives as instructed
Requirements for this position would include:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field from a recognized college or university
• Further secondary education is mandatory (Master’s, PHD etc.)
• An Engineering degree will be considered a strong asset
• Professional certification(s) are considered to be mandatory
• Ability to communicate in English (orally and written)
• 6-7 years in the business administration field with experience in administrative, municipal and/or key leadership roles
• A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience, preferably in unionized environment
• Extensive experience in the administration of major programs or projects
• A strong commitment to ongoing professional development
• A demonstrated ability in computer proficiency and advanced knowledge in the use of MS Office programs
• Demonstrated experience building effective teams and developing positive work relations with staff
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
Skills and abilities required for this position would include:
• Extensive knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of public administration as related to municipal operations and affairs including the basic principles of organization and budget preparation.
• Strong political acumen and respect for the partnership between administrative staff and Council and the ability to take direction from the Chief Administrative Officer.
• Demonstrated knowledge of corporate budgeting principles and the ability to apply financial and budgetary skills.
• Ability to effectively communicate with strong writing, presentation and listening skills that promote understanding and clarity in a respectful manner.
• Strong analytical and critical systems thinking skills, the ability to analyze a variety of administrative problems, to make recommendations as to their solution and to prepare working procedures.
• A Demonstrated ability to build effective teams and delegate authority to subordinates.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with municipal officials, public sector unions, employees, other levels of government, community groups and the general public
• Strong knowledge of labour relations principles and related legal requirements.
Interpersonal Skills required for this position:
• Strong organizational behaviour and conflict-resolution skills
• Ability to function effectively in a diverse and fast paced work environment with challenging and often competing priorities.
• Strong interpersonal leadership skills
• Confidence in the leadership role and in decision-making
• Ability to be responsible and organized throughout all aspects of performance
• Ability to be personally accountable for actions
• Ability to work with others at a professional level
• Strong listening skills
• Commitment to organizational goals
• Emotional intelligence
• Ability to make rational and accountable decisions
Other abilities considered an asset:
• Bilingual skills
• Further/other education or certificates
• Experience in volunteering and fundraising for large organizations
• Community involvement
This is a high-level professional position with the successful applicant receiving a salary ranging from $99,000 -$110,000 annually.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line. At this time, we are unable to consider international applicants. We thank you for your interest in the position.