Our client is seeking an experienced professional who would be responsible for the management and supervision of all financial affairs within the organization. In this role, the successful applicant must follow in accordance with established accounting principles and governing legislation. In addition, the successful applicant must provide corporate-level recommendations and advice to management, staff, and committees on all matters relating to finance and accounting while leading the operations of the Finance Department. Specific areas of responsibility include policy development, directing the work of department employees, budgeting, forecasting, analysis as well as the oversight of such functions as accounts payable and receivable, preparation of financial statements, purchasing, insurance coverage, auditors, and banking, ensuring compliance with industry accounting standards and all related legislation.
General duties of this position would include:
• Leading the Financial team of professional and technical staff
• Providing professional advisory to staff, managers, department heads and supervisors
• Managing the finance functions of the organization
• Working closely with department managers and other organizational committees connected within the organization
• Developing and fostering close working relationships with various external departments and agencies, auditors, bankers, consultants, business groups and community organizations
• Communication and working with the public in a professional and courteous manner
• Providing leadership and positive encouragement throughout the Finance department
• Setting a positive example for staff throughout all public relations, internal operations and in excellent service of customers and clients
• Ensuring the effective and economical operation of all assigned Departments.
• Assuring responsible utilization of resources in accordance with sound management practices, financial guidelines and regulations.
Day-to-Day duties of this position would include:
• Developing and maintaining appropriate control systems for all departments in collaboration with senior staff
• Providing financial analysis, financial statements, financial and associated management information to associated auditors, financial institutes and appropriate individuals within the organization
• Monitoring the collection, receipt and deposit of financial transactions, and administration of bank accounts.
• Guiding Department heads in preparation and monitoring of individual annual budgets, and for providing insight and direction toward corporate budgets.
• Leading contact with auditors, prepare or supervise preparation of necessary working papers for year-end audit, effect accounting rule changes and improvements
• Participating in the selection and development of suitable accounting systems to ensure effective and sustainable use of current technologies
• Overseeing infrastructure claims ensuring timeliness, accuracy and compliance with procedures
• Providing policy and financial advice to governing bodies
• Responsible for building an effective team and developing positive work relationships in a constructive culture including supervising, engaging, training, and developing the best staff for the department. Participates in the hiring process in collaboration with Human Resources.
• Leading special initiatives as instructed
Requirements for this position would include:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Commerce, Finance, Public Administration or related field from a recognized college or university
• A Charted Professional Accounting designation (CA, CPA, CMA)
• Further secondary education is considered an asset (Master’s, PHD etc.)
• A minimum of seven (7) years of progressive financial management experience in a large corporation or government environment
• A minimum of five (5) years of progressive supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized environment.
• Experience in working within a public sector environment and knowledge of Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards would be considered a strong asset
• Oracle experience would be considered an asset
• A strong commitment to ongoing professional development
• A demonstrated ability in computer proficiency and advanced knowledge in the use of MS Office programs
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
Skills and abilities required for this position would include:
• In-depth knowledge of the principles, theories, practices, methods, terms and techniques associated with accounting and financial systems
• Ability to effectively plan, organize and supervise work assignments of subordinate staff members
• Ability to effectively communicate with strong writing, presentation and listening skills that promote understanding and clarity in a respectful manner.
• Good personal mastery and performance as a team player, with proven ability to role model the behaviours associated with a constructive culture and a commitment to heath, wellness and safety
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
• Ability to analyze a variety of financial issues and make recommendations to appropriate officials
• Ability to establish and maintain productive and co-operative relationships with various departments, agencies, staff and other officials associated with the organization
• Strong knowledge of labour relations principles and related legal requirements.
• Strong working knowledge of the operation of computers, their programming, and potential and related software
Interpersonal Skills required for this position:
• Strong organizational behaviour and conflict-resolution skills
• Ability to function effectively in a diverse and fast paced work environment with challenging and often competing priorities.
• Strong interpersonal leadership skills
• Confidence in the leadership role and in decision-making
• Ability to be responsible and organized throughout all aspects of performance
• Ability to be personally accountable for actions
• Ability to work with others at a professional level
• Strong listening skills
• Commitment to organizational goals
• Emotional intelligence
• Ability to make rational and accountable decisions
Other abilities considered an asset:
• Further/other education or certificates
• Experience in volunteering and fundraising for large organizations
• Community involvement
The successful applicant for this position would be expected to receive a salary ranging from $88,000 – $103,500 annually.
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title line in the subject line.
At this time, we are unable to accept international candidates. Only those with a valid work permit or legal status in Canada will be considered.
We thank you for your interest in the position. However, only qualified candidates will be contacted for further consideration.