Redwater Rustic Grille is centrally located in downtown Charlottetown, PE inside the lobby of the Holman Grand Hotel on Grafton St. The market-driven menu unites East Coast seafood and produce with premier AAA Angus beef, making for unique signature dishes and innovative creations. Redwater’s wine menu features over 120 labels, providing a diverse worldly selection as well as PEI’s best. The severs are warmly professional and their enthusiasm for great food and wine are nothing short of contagious. At Redwater, our goal is to provide a memorable dining experience of value to all of our guests.
Find more information at redwatergrille.com/charlottetown/about-us/
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Restaurant Manager, the Head Chef supervises all day to day kitchen operations and outside caterings. The Head Chef supervises the staff of the kitchen, participates in the recruitment, training and development of staff, and provides performance appraisals and disciplinary action.
It is the responsibility of the Head Chef to contribute to our mission to meet or exceed each guest’s expectations of experience by maintaining the highest standards of food quality, consistency and value. The Head Chef also participates in determining the menu changes, equipment and ingredients that are necessary, and handles special menu requests. He/she will always manage the kitchen staff in compliance with all health and safety regulations by ensuring adherence to sanitary and safe food handling guidelines.
- Travel may be required
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. required
- Overtime as required
- Homburg Employee Discount Program
- Health insurance after six months
- Company matching RRSP after six months
- Discounted rates at Atlantic Fitness Centre
- Paid monthly parking at Pownal Parkade
- Company provided cell phone
- Responsible for the complete kitchen operation
- Coach, train and provide leadership to all the staff of the kitchen and restaurant where required
- Ensure consistent food preparation and the highest caliber of food presentation, taking advantage of all opportunities to improve upon both, and ensuring communication to the kitchen staff
- Ensure cleanliness and hygiene is maintained in the various kitchen areas including refrigerators and storerooms and that food products are rotated to ensure high standards of freshness
- Ensure refrigerators and storerooms are organized and maintained in the various kitchen areas daily and that all food products are stored in accordance with provincial regulations
- Supervise and participate in the production and plating of all food service areas, to maintain the best quality food style possible
- Provide input for menus — creating, developing, and recommending recipes for the use of other staff — to create a consistent and quality food product
- Actively participate in the Redwater Rustic Grille environmental program and department specific initiatives in working towards sustainable operations
- Strive to uphold a safe working environment and be Health and Safety conscious and actively involved in maintaining and improving a safe work environment. Ensure maintenance requests, incident reports and incident investigations are submitted and followed up with
- Maintain product consistency by conducting inspections of seasonings, portion, and appearance of food
- Ensure all administrative forms are completed and submitted in a timely manner, including new hire paperwork, performance reviews, payroll requests, etc.
- Ensure daily menu specials are cost effective and are of high standards in quality and presentation
- Oversee food deliveries to ensure the products have been delivered and stored according to the standards set by provincial health regulations.
- Provide positive, negative or developmental feedback to employees and/or employees directly under your supervision
*Additional job duties can be seen on the full job description; please contact Kalie at Island Recruiting for the complete list.
- Highschool diploma or equivalent
- Culinary Education (Trade Papers, Read Seal or equivalent) required
- Responsible server course (PEI certified)
- Certifications as required to comply with provincial regulations.
- Minimum of 6-8 years working experience in the trade31stcooking
- Food Safety certification
- Background in culinary competition(s) is considered an asset
- Food and beverage culinary management experience with demonstrated leadership.
- Ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares.
- Ability to recognize, influence, and follow foodservice trends in preparation and presentation.
- Extensive knowledge of food handling and sanitation standards.
- Understanding of Restaurant, Bar/Lounge, Room Service, Banquet and Catering operational procedures.
- Computer literate with MS Office applications.