Our client is looking for an experienced, professional and dependable Registered Nurse Supervisor for their Wolfville, Nova Scotia location. The successful applicant will possess excellent leadership, organization, teamwork and coordination abilities throughout all aspects of their work. Not only this, but the RN Supervisor is responsible for enforcing and monitoring safety and hygiene regulation policy throughout the organization, as well as proper and ethical nursing practice.
Reporting directly to the Director of Care, the RN Supervisor is accountable for coordinating resident care, supervising LPN and CCA staff, developing individualized resident care plans, administering medications and treatments as necessary and leading nursing practice quality improvement projects. Role models the Nursing Department’s commitment to the organization’s safety culture and enhancement of resident safety. Assists with development and follows safety procedures as work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations (e.g. WHMIS, fire safety, spills). The RN Supervisor is accountable for the operation of the Home including building security during evenings, nights, weekends and stat holidays. Required to work rotating shifts.
Requirements for this position would include:
- A Baccalaureate degree in Nursing from an accredited school of nursing or RN diploma with equivalent experience and education
- Experience in long term care including supervisory experience
- Current active practicing license from the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia
- Current CPR certification
- Proven competence in clinical practice, resident care coordination, multidisciplinary teamwork, human resource management relative to LPN, CCA staff teams, excellent verbal and written communication skills, leadership skills for quality improvement in resident care, nursing practice and related support services
- Computer skills and abilities
- Excellent communication abilities
Resident Care Coordination:
- Assesses resident health status and reports to physician and/or other health professional as required and documents same
- Plans, coordinate and implements appropriate follow-up action related to resident (s) identified needs, including communication with family/responsible party, Nursing Dept. staff, other disciplines and external service providers; documents interventions
- Evaluates outcomes, document in Care Plan, MARS and other established documentation/communication mechanisms; provides follow-up communication to family/responsible party, other depts., other disciplines, e.g. physicians, pharmacist, dietitian, OT,PT and to external support services (CNIB, Seniors Mental Health) as required
- Coordinates residents’ medication regimens relative to physician orders, monthly MARS, pharmacy, Quarterly Physician Reviews including financial implications of medications for residents
- Coordinates annual planning, preparation, implementation and follow-up for annual Resident Care Team Conferences (RCTC) held throughout the year on each individual resident
- Assesses residents, nursing staff, other personnel and visitors following an incident, documents same and forwards to the Nurse Manager or other appropriate department
- Maintains current knowledge of each resident’s condition
- Maintains effective internal and external relations (multidisciplinary, service providers, etc.)
- Gives report to oncoming staff
- Maintains confidentiality of residents, staff and facility
- provides essential information to family members and/or responsible party regarding resident’s condition
- Participates in and promotes a team approach to resident care
- Maintains current knowledge of College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia Standards for Nursing Practice and Complies with the Standards of Employee Conduct and Values in the Home’s Employee Handbook
Physical Effort: Moderate physical activity. Requires physical work: pushing medication cart, resident chairs, positioning and lifting residents up to 50 pounds and frequent lifting and moving of objects up to 25 pounds. Ability to physically position oneself to accommodate resident care, i.e. kneel, bend, reach, stoop to complete work responsibilities at low or floor level. Ability to sit in a normal seated position for periods of time and use a computer keyboard, which requires continuous or repetitive arm-hand movements.
Salary Range: $33.00 – $38.27 hourly
The successful applicant must have flexibility in answering emergency calls or concerns outside of regular work hours. This may require to return to work at any time during off-days.
Please contact Island Recruiting for more information regarding duties, requirements and salary range. Applicants are welcome to apply by sending their application and cover letter to Kalie@islandrecruiting.com. Please include the title of the Job in the subject line.